Old 04-18-2009, 03:43 PM
rabbit2b

As the new owner of an HQ16, I can't imagine anyone spending the money for a longarm setup and not being interested in bettering her skills. Furthermore, I bet there aren't many of us who weren't surprised by the learning curve. It certainly isn't "plug-and-play" to achieve control.

I became a graphic designer without any formal training, classes, etc. It started as a hobby that I got good at, and ended up doing it as a business for 13 years, at the end of which I was charging $65/hr (in 1998!) and had more business than I could handle. Was I a "backyard" designer? Maybe, but a screwup on my part sometimes had the potential of costing thousands of dollars to correct at the printer. Needless to say, I was very careful not to overreach my ability, and to make use of colleagues' knowledge.

Quilters seem to be a remarkably "open" and giving bunch, freely sharing knowledge and tips, even with those who are or may become competitors. Here in Indianapolis, the guild is several hundred strong, and includes piecers and quilters at all levels. I think people know who to go to for simple quilting and who for show-quality, or can easily find out.

But then again, I'm a bit mystified by what a longarm quilter can do that wouldn't show up until after the second wash...