View Single Post
Old 06-10-2011, 08:44 AM
Cre8tvlwyr

no real prepping here... I make two copies of the block, trace my design on background, choose applique pieces by auditioning them... that is, I cut 'window' carefully out of one of the copies and decide what part of fabric I'm using if it is a fabric that has a print that changes [dont do this with batiks or allover small prints] I mark the spot and trace around the outside of the applique pattern I cut out to make the window. Then I cut that piece adding 3/16" seam. When I place the pieces on my background I usually just work one piece at a time because they go so fast. I will cut 4 leaves or hearts, but I pin only one piece down. With the small pieces I have found that running a mid-size pin through the fabric a few times [like a running stitch] sets it in place so long as you start needleturning slightly past the head of the pin. I just match the markings of the corners or two parts of the piece with the pin and make my third match with the start of my sewing. Explaining it takes longer than doing it. I did the starch method and other preppy things that take much longer and have found for me that my needle & left pressing thumb works fine. I 'press' with both forefingers/thumbs just ahead of where I go and hold in place with left thumb.

OMG - I am too wordy this morning..........

oohhhh HAPPY BIRTHDAY LESLEY!!!
my sweet grandson's was yesterday!!