Old 06-11-2011, 05:22 AM
BoJangles

Originally Posted by vintagemotif
Originally Posted by chris_quilts
Buslady;

Two spools refers to to a National machine that did use 2 spools of thread. One was the upper thread and the other was the bobbin thread. I have one and it's a treadle. Not sure if they were ever e-machines or just people powered ones. They can be found but must be checked thoroughly to see if all the bobbin parts are complete as those are difficult to find from what I understand. Mine is complete. Dh would like her to go so I can oput some of my other finds in my sewing room and out of his garage space. I am undecided as of the moment. I do want a treadle but not sure what kind.
My first Two Spools looked like it once had a motor on it.
I had my first Two Spools in a modified treadle that my husband did the modification for me (clever man). Since the machine is narrower, he took a wider portion of another cabinet ( lighter in color top section shown in photo) to hold the machine on the front lip. Since the pins don't line up, he set the machine in one hinge pin and got a small metal plate the sets next to the Singer other hinge pin ( screwed in underneath by pin) for the machine to rest on. That metal plate swings out of the way so that other Singer machines can be used too. So one straight-leg treadle was used for Singer machine heads as well as the National Two Spools. Last weekend at the Mini TOGA in Sacramento CA, I showed how the conversion works in the straight-leg with the Two Spools and Singer 328K.
Monica, you did a great job - at least your DH did a great job - putting that straight leg cabinet together to work with the Two Spools. My 15-88 sits in a straight leg treadle and I love the way it runs.

Nancy