Thread: Proud Mom
View Single Post
Old 06-12-2011, 05:22 AM
mcdaniel023

I just want to share my daughter's story.
Her name is Kelli and she is one amazing human being. I want to be like her when I grow up.
She was diagnosed with Stage 4 Hodkins lymphoma at the beginning of her senior year in college. When she called to tell us, she had found a lump, went to a Dr. had all the tests, and made a plan. She was staying in school. Even though she went through some awful chemo, she survived and graduated on the Dean's list.
The day she was finally recieved her Dr's release, she took me to lunch and told me she would be moving from our small town to NYC. She was going to teach there. She was needed. I wanted to plead or scream or tie her to a chair.
She explained that God was with her through the cancer. He had a plan for her. Whatever happened, needed to happen. How could I argue with that?
She has been in NYC for 8 years. She teaches in the Bronx.
Kelli has a cause that she is really involved in. It's mission is to prevent the explotation of women and children. www.nominetwork.org
She called to tell me that she will be going on a mission trip to Cambodia for her 30th birthday. She worked a second job to save enough money to pay for it. She told me she was excited and a little nervous. So that is what I am going to be also. Proud that she will do whatever she can to make the world a better place, excited for her new adventure and a little scared. Ok, I will worry alot.
(It is only for 10 days, I have already survived the 30 years, LOL)