Thread: Lemon Curd
View Single Post
Old 04-20-2009, 09:32 AM
Feathers

Originally Posted by Loretta
I love clotted cream! British Air always served it with scones! Its really like very heavy thick cream but doesn't taste like cream cheese. It is sweeter and richer. Can you buy it in the US?
Lorette: I'm sure we can buy it "somewhere" but probably NOT in our little town. If I went to the city to a huge store that sells everything from snails to deep fried cockroaches they'd have it. Thanks for explaining WHAT it is. All this time I thought it was probably cream cheese but it sounds like it's Whipped Cream that isn't whipped. When I was a kid my mom bought farm fresh WHOLE milk from our friends who owned dairly cows. The cream in the milk would rise to the top of the gallon jar and it was like pudding it was so thick. My mom would whip it and add a bit of sugar and it was wonderful. My MIL always talked about HER mother taking the cream off the top of the milk and putting it in a bowl on the back of the wood stove until it soured then they'd add sugar to it and spread it on toast, muffins, etc. That was her favorite childhood food memory. I wondered if "clotted cream" was something like my MIL's description of the cream they had on the farm 80 years ago???