Old 06-12-2011, 09:10 AM
miriam
Power Poster

You have to figure that the parts sold on ebay are coming from a donor machine of some kind. I would prefer to select a donor machine my self when ever possible. Over here, a donor machine is one that has either too many parts missing already or in really sad shape - although I've restored and seen some amazing results... Sometimes it is better to combine two machines and have one that works. Then let the other one be for parts. I don't know what people who sell off ebay are doing. I don't know if I want to support them if they are just cannibalizing a perfectly good machine because they can make a little cash. I have a pathetic Singer 500 that has donated parts to at least 5 machines. She was very abused when I bought her. She has donated her bobbin plate, her throat plate, her presser foot, her motor, her tension, her face door, her needle bar, spring from the bobbin case holder, the slide plate spring and a bobbin winder spring and maybe soon her stitch selector shaft. Her bottom was rusted solid when I got her her top door is misery without a hinge... DH put a bit too much torque trying to crank her around and something broke - I was so mad at him at the time... BUT I would have paid many times what I paid for her for the parts I've used already.. who knows what other parts I will someday be able to use...