Old 06-12-2011, 05:07 PM
JUNEC

Originally Posted by JanetM
Originally Posted by JUNEC
Originally Posted by JanetM
I've been watching HGTV home buying shows and I keep seeing homes in Florida that have front doors that open outward. Is this a Florida thing? What is the reason behind this? I'm dying of curiosity. :|
Are you talking about Front doors or Back doors?
The doors I saw were front doors. The program was about house hunting and the homes looked relatively new.
Were the homes they were looking at on the water - as in waterfront?

I know that building codes in FL have had a lot on changes to them in the last couple of years. Homes on the water - or in flood zones - have to be on stilts.

New construction has to be built on stilts - living area is on the 2nd floor - or X amount (not sure what the # is) above sea level. This also applies to remodelling if it is over - a certain % - again not sure the %.

I am not sure about front doors opening outward - we built our house over 20 yrs ago. Our front doors (double doors) open in - Door into garage opens out. The side door going out from the our 3 car garage opens out, since the door can't open in because it would hit our cars. We have 3 sets of glass doors that go to out to the screened pool area in the back yard they are triple sliding glass doors that pocket into each other - so they don't open in or open out - they open side ways

I will have to ask my son about the doors & codes in FL- he is a flood adjuster for FEMA. He is away at the moment in Mississippi. River/water has finally gone down enough to be able to do adjustments, although they had to be taken by boat to several of the properties- He had gone out 2 weeks ago & was only able to 3 or 4 claims - the balance were still under water.
I feel so sorry for the people that have been affected by these floods - they are in my prays every night.
God bless them