Old 06-12-2011, 07:06 PM
Yvonne

As my grandchildren each turn 11 they get a new quilt. There's no rhyme or reason why 11 other than that was the age of the oldest grandchild at the time I started this tradition! :lol:
Madeline is my third grandchild and my only granddaughter. She asked for a "hot pink" quilt and then chose the Roman stripe pattern. I used "An Amish Quilt in a Day - Variations of Roman Stripe" by Eleanor Burns (Dec 1986) to make the quilt. Madeline chose the block setting.
This was going to be a very simple quilt. Ha! That's what I thought. Somewhere along the way, after the quilt was totally put together I realized that all the block edges were on the bias! Oops! I quickly ran a row of stay stitching around the outside of the quilt.
THEN- since I had lots of time to complete this project - I decided it needed a border and I wanted to try the ribbon border found in "The Border Workbook: Easy Speed-Pieced & Foundation-Pieced Borders, by Janet Kime. I am here to tell you that book is just not a very nice book at all. The directions were quite convoluted! I love math but her explanations left a whole lot to be desired and the borders needed all sorts of tweaking and it still didn't fit exactly. That was about the time I realized that the entire border was - ready for it- ON THE BIAS! Argh!!!
Then came the quilting, but that's a whole different story.
Since I still had a few days left and lots of fabric leftover (another story) I made Madeline a pillow case and a decorator pillow. Done!

Madeline's Flower Garden
[ATTACH=CONFIG]210686[/ATTACH]

Pillowcase and decorator pillow
[ATTACH=CONFIG]210687[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-210680.jpe   attachment-210681.jpe