View Single Post
Old 04-21-2009, 03:17 AM
Cookn

I can't tell you which is best or worst, I haven't used them all. Plus what I consider best might not be what you consider best. There are some quality brands on your list and some that I wouldn't use as boat anchors. Which one do you like ? If it does what you want and is in your price range, it's probably the best machine for you. Make sure the warranty will cover it for a good amount of time. Does it have a reputation for long life ?

Shop for the dealer almost as much as you shop for the machine, it's really as important as machine choice. A poor dealer will make your sewing experience worse. If we had to purchase new machines today, we might make a different choice than we did 3 years ago. One of the brand specific dealers for our machines, stinks in the area we moved to. I hate to walk into their store, even if it's just to buy fabric.

Things I do know, Brother makes quite a few of Babylocks machines just rebrands them. Janome does the same even makes some of Brenina's Bernette line up. The new Singer is just a hollow shell of what it used to be in a better time. Brother makes some good machines and some cheapos how do you decide which is which ? You know that the service notification on a Bernina 440QE doesn't turn on until the machine hits 2,000,000 stitches, pretty cool huh ? Quite a few machines are worn out by then. You do have to oil and clean it after every 180,000 stitches, though.