View Single Post
Old 06-13-2011, 08:46 AM
AbbyQuilts

Originally Posted by tmjennings
I guess there are lots of us with Ms who love quilting.
It would be interesting to hear from all of you with the tricks you use to be able to overcome the problems MS gives you.

tip #1
My husband built me a pressing board which just fits on my lap (a 12"x12" board that I padded and cut a ironing board cover to fit, stapled on) so I would not have to get up or move from my sewing machine to press. I put the iron on a table that I can reach.

I dont know if what helps my MS will help your MS but
I sew only on a treadle machine. My quilting has become part of my physical therapy. I do an intense amount of therapy each day. If I want to sew then I have to use the treadle. I have problems with coordination of my feet. My left foot never does what it is supposed to. So thats when I started using the treadle. It has helped a lot. And generally because I am making the speed with my legs. The machine does not get up fast enough to confuse me or panic me.

As part of one of my worst flares I was having trouble with my balance, coordination and my left leg. After 2 one week (6 months apart) treatments of solumedrol and intense physical therapy. I am off the walker and I am in remission.

I pray that all of you find some way to live with our disease. Remember to laugh a lot and always find time to quilt. Even if you are having a hard day and dont want to do anything then looking at quilts or planning one will help!