View Single Post
Old 06-13-2011, 08:51 AM
Rose_P

This is also known as a Jelly Roll Race or Endless Jelly Roll, and I learned about it from a recent post by zyxquilts, who cited this source: http://blog.1choice4quilting.com , but it's been around for a few years under various names. I cut my own 2 1/2" strips from my stash. This is 45" by 54" I found one of my strips on the floor after I finished it, so the size was a little different than I planned, but it works as a lap quilt for our den. I made the angles sharper than the 45 degree ones I use for binding, and deliberately made one go the opposite direction, but decided that was too complicated to do several times.

This was also my first attempt at using a blindstitch on the binding, and I'm very happy I learned about that, also from people on QB. My blindstitch tacks to the left, which means that I had to roll up the quilt and feed the entire thing through the throat of my little Elna four times, but it's really not a problem at all for a quilt this size, and saves hours of hand-sewing.

I did FMQ, just winging it with a minimal plan, and that works okay for me if a design is "natural objects", such as leaves - not all the same in nature, and definitely not all the same when I try them. I've been learning this for about 6 months, I think. It's getting easier, but I have a way to go yet.

[Sorry - I realized too late this should be under "Pictures" - would move it if I knew how!]

Lasagna Quilt
[ATTACH=CONFIG]210905[/ATTACH]

Close up of blind stitch
[ATTACH=CONFIG]210906[/ATTACH]

FMQ leaves
[ATTACH=CONFIG]210907[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-210899.jpe   attachment-210900.jpe   attachment-210901.jpe