Old 04-21-2009, 11:00 AM
jdavis

I am also a drafter by trade, so sometimes I use AutoCAD to draft a pattern. My mom relies heavily on this ability! I have used graph paper and colored pencils quite a bit as well. I also have EQ5, which I had on my Christmas list one year, and I love it. I don't use it a lot, because I work 40 hours a week (and lately it's actually been 50+). But when I have had the time, EQ5 has been very helpful. The instructions are aimed at even novice computer users. So even though I need to relearn it after a long period away from it, it's still do-able. Switching colors is super fast - as compared to impossible with colored pencils. Also, in case anyone is wondering, the Quiltmaker Quilt Design CD's can be used with EQ5 - you don't have to buy EQ6. Has anyone out there tried quiltncalc (quiltncalc.com)? When I made a note of it to myself (pre-EQ5) it was $89.95. As I recall it looked like a pretty nifty, calculator sized gizmo specifically designed for calculating your quilt yardage. If the price has stayed down, it might be more affordable than EQ6.