Old 06-13-2011, 10:35 AM
lovelyl

Originally Posted by Miz Johnny
Keep the 115 (much better machine), sell the 66! 115 is a rotary shuttle machine, and much better for piecing. The 66 was the bottom of the line Singer, and you can pick one up anywhere.

The 201 HC will fit in the treadle. If you need to drop the head, take the HC off and do so.

Two treadles and space is a problem? Send DH to me. I have at least 30. There are no "occasional" tables in my house, and you have to shuffle to get through some spaces, but hey--it keeps life interesting. My adult children sometimes complain, but then again, I had planned to use ALL these rooms for machines, so they can't complain too much.

Originally Posted by lovelyl
Okay, I have a dumb question. I know,there is no such thing as a dumb question, but this may be an exception. I am new to this addiction and so far, I only have 4 vintage sewing machines, a FW, a Singer 115 treadle (head only), a Singer Red Eye 66-1 treadle, and a Singer 201 hand crank. I love all of them, but space is a problem. My DH's solution is to sell the 115, remove the 66 from its treadle cabinet and install the 201 hand crank in the treadle cabinet so I can use it as a treadle or a hand crank. Here is my question: If the hand crank is installed in the treadle cabinet, can it be used as either a hand crank or a treadle??? My DH says yes, but I just wouldn't be able to lower the machine into the cabinet, it would just have to stay up all the time. Help! Should I stop my DH's devious plan, or will it work?
Miz Johnny, As soon as DH is home from work, I will ship him straight to you! Wow! 30 treadles!!! I think I like you! Can you explain to me the difference between a rotary shuttle and whatever the 66 has? I was thinking about selling the 115 because it has an irritating habit of the needle dropping back into the fabric after I stop sewing and get ready to take the material out. Can't figure out what is causing it or how to fix it. The 66 doesn't do it.