View Single Post
Old 04-21-2009, 01:13 PM
AtHomeSewing

I love my Bernina, and I love that it is made in Switzerland and is the only brand that is still a family-owned operation. I love that it seems to actually help me accomplish whatever I want, rather than fight me like my last machine (Singer).

The best thing is to go get your hands on the various machines. How do they feel in terms of operation to you? Pick one up, is there much weight to it? Are most of it's parts made of lightweight plastic or, are the internal parts made from metal? I was nearly set on buying a different brand, until I actually got up close to the Berninas. Once I saw and felt the quality of the pressure feet and the hook mechanism I was sold.

Was it my Bernina the cheapest machine? Not at all. Is it the best made machine, in my opinion it is. However, in your case the only opinion that matters is your own. A good deal depends on what you are looking for: features/price/quality.

There are lots of machines out there, go try them. Make up a packet of difficult to sew on fabrics and see how each machine responds. Have each one make a buttonhole for you. Check out how well the needle threader works...or if it even works at all. How much light is illuminated over the sewing area, how easy is it to load the bobbin or change the feet.

I wrote a review for Patter Review on my machine, and a copy of it is on my Flickr sewing room page, here's a link to the review:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/athomesewing/2720227176/

Good luck with your search, take your time and you will find the machine that is the best one for you. :)