View Single Post
Old 06-13-2011, 11:05 PM
Butterflyspain

Originally Posted by QuiltswithConvicts
We were really lucky with this storm. A/C was cranking, so all windows, etc. were closed. Dust couldn't get in!!! Today it's supposed to get up to 104º (40ºC) & tomorrow 105º & it's still spring, not summer.

My biggest fear isn't for fires here in Hobbs, but up in the mountains of Cloudcroft & Ruidoso. They are just as dry - not much snow this year, so those stupid tourists will just toss their cig. butts out the window without a second thought. These 2 areas are in the Lincoln National Forest - birthplace of Smokey the Bear.
Wow that hot for Spring Kathy. We have flashing notices on the motorways here that say in Spanish not to toss your cigs out of the window, but they are in Spanish and I just wonder how many tourist understand them. I have to say they are very very quick to reacto to fires here. They have the helicopters out and all the Bomberos (firemen) appear from around the area to fight it. I have seen one really nasty one and it scared the living daylights out of me it was in an olive grove, maliciously started, and the trees were exploding, what a sight it was, took ages to get it under control but they did and 2 years later everything is growing again, which I found incredible.