Old 10-28-2007, 03:56 AM
june6995

I phoned a shop-recommended long arm quilter and asked her about her prices. She said " 2 cents per square inch" so I asked her about a Queen size quilt. She figured it out for me.. $198. plus change....and then included State Sales Tax. She reminded me that she was a professional and would give me a written receipt. Others want cash in hand. No receipt.

I make quilts to give to charity and to spend roughly $200 to have each quilt done is completely out of my price range.

I do have access to a long arm quilter who says she is "not the best, but the cheapest." I don't know how she figures her charge but I have usually paid about $40 for a Standard or Queen size and $50 for a King size. There is no "fancy" quilting done. I select a pattern and when she quilts, she starts on one side and goes across to the other side, stops and takes the machine back to the starting point. This is a "plain and simple" method that does the job. However, I would like to take the money I pay her and invest in some equipment and learn to do this myself. I won't be buying a long arm. At age 73 I don't think I would get my money's worth out of it.

You may recall, I keep asking who has bought frame/machine combos so I can make an informed decison.

June in Cincinnati