Old 06-14-2011, 06:20 AM
thepolyparrot

I had a modern computerized machine - but it was cranky about accepting different threads and it couldn't handle the crossed seams in a pair of pants.

I started wishing I had the machine I learned to sew on and before long, I found one. Learning how to clean her up and get her sewing led me to put certain models on my wish list.

I have three computerized machines, but the most perfect tension is on whatever vintage or antique machine I happen to be sewing on. Once you learn the "formula" for balancing tension, it takes just a few seconds every time you start a new project.

I can sew with any brand of thread and a mix of hugely differing threads in the bobbin and needle. No beeps, no refusing to sew - the seam will tell me right away if I need to adjust something.

The vertical bobbin machines are wonderful quilters - machine guided or free-motion. And some of them sing you happy little songs while they sew.

I can take them apart and put them back together. They are reliable as sunrise.

When the electricity goes out (as it often does!) I am not stranded. I pull up the treadle and keep on sewing. It does 30 different decorative stitches in addition to that perfect straight stitch and quilting.

And they're just plain beautiful - heavy as they are to carry. :)