Thread: Awesome Day
View Single Post
Old 06-14-2011, 03:37 PM
grayma

I had the best day. My niece dropped off her daughter, age 11, at 9:00 this morning. She wants to learn how to make a quilt! We started out with the simple table runner and discussed color and coordinating colors. She is really into art and understands the color wheel better than I. She picked out fabric from my stash for her table runner. I went through basic safety issues with the rotary cutter and hand placement on the ruler. She was very attentive and remembered everything I told her. Within one hour her table runner was sewn and pressed. I showed her some hand stitches for the back to finish it. By the time she got to the other end her stitches were invisible. We finished well before lunch, so then went the LQS so she could pick out fabric for her pillowcase. She was in awe of the fabric, but quickly made her selection. We went to lunch and she couldn't get her food fast enough so that we could come back to sew. She made her pillowcase and was just beaming. I think she is a natural. She has camp next week, but she is coming back the following week to start on her quilt top. She wants to make everything she sees! I surely do predict she will be a bona fide member of the quilting club before the summer is over! I will post pictures of her projects tomorrow.