Old 06-15-2011, 04:51 AM
Judi in Ohio

quote=susieqwva]I would like to purchase a new sewing machine. Right now I have a Viking, but have never been very happy with it. I am an intermediate quilter . . . . what brand and model would you recommend?

I have some very strong addictions. One is for fabric, the other is machines. I machine embroider and sew and lately the quilting has taken over the embroidery. I have owned every machine brand, some in different types. I am sold on Babylock for embroidery, but my most favorite sewing machine are the Juki's. I have the 98 straight stitch only and the f_600 an amazing sewing machine, with as many stitches as you'd ever need. #1 reason is the motor - don't know if the motor is stronger or geared differently, but believe me this machine is above every other motor. I believe it would sew thru metal. I love that I can start sewing on the beginning of fabric, I don't need a leader/ender, or backstitch, it just sews, no pounding fabric down the hole. That has something to do with the feed dogs and a different type of feed system. It's got lots of needle positions, and is a reasonable alternative to the very high priced machines out there. For instance, the Janome Horizon costs 60% more - the Horizon has a larger harp area, I'll give it that. And because of the Juki feed dogs you have stitching equal to the IDT's of Pfaff, Babylock. You need more, the walking foot is included. I tried to paper piece with my walking foot on my Juki and it gave too much control.
I really have a mania for sewing machines, but since I got my f-600 I've stopped hungering for the newest and greatest. So, as you've guessed, I think you need to sew on a Juki to prove to yourself. (This machine got such great reviews on pattern review, I bought mine unseen - did not regret it)
Most of all, go have fun, try them all. It's the only way to know you got the right machine for you.
Judi

Thanks quilting friends!
susieqwva[/quote]