View Single Post
Old 06-15-2011, 05:36 AM
Edie

Originally Posted by Walter'sMom
I kept a spray bottle of water handy - a spray in the face doesn't hurt them but sure has got their attention. Now I just have to say 'do you want me to get the spray bottle?' and that was 10 and 12 years ago for my 2 yellow labs. For barking control, I used a few pennies in an empty soda can and shook it when they barked. Both methods worked like a charm. Obedience training and exercise is also key for smart dogs like retrievers.
We had a squirt gun - I would look at Bess, "Bad Dog", give her a squirt!!!!!! Never say the dog's name in anger. Give her/him another name when you are angry at her/him - Ours was "Roundhead"! Dogs can put "bad Bess and good Bess together and make it sound good. Bad Roundhead gets their attention. Anyhow, back to my squirt gun - now all we have to say is three words, one syllable each, very distinct - "GET THE GUN". That's all it takes now! Which incidentally is so very rare that we don't even have the squirt gun anymore. Long gone (She doesn't know that yet, we just say "Get the Gun") - Bess is 8-1/2 now. Owns the house! Lock, stock and barrel. We do get to live here rent free if we keep her in food, snacks and more love than you can imagine. Edie