View Single Post
Old 04-23-2009, 03:40 AM
tlrnhi

Ok, I'm already there, so I guess I'm going crazier!
I finally got down to a driving school to get ALL the CORRECT info for Courtney to FINALLY get her drivers license. OH MY GOSH! You won't believe it!
This is how it goes for ANY first time driver on Guam.
1. Take driving course. This can be with ANY of the more than 25 DMV approved places on island. Cost runs between $120 and $300 just for the classroom instruction.
2. Take permit test. This test is $25.
3. Permit is then used for 6 months...no less. Permit holder at this time (6 month duration) learns how to drive.
4. Make appointment AFTER the 4 month mark for driving test. Appointment is made at 4 month mark because it takes at least 3 months to get an appointment for road test.
5. Before road test by DMV is done, permit holder goes BACK to driving school, pays $60 for a "pre-road test" to make sure they are going to pass test by DMV.
6. Once appointment date comes, then permit holder goes to assigned location, usually Univ of Guam for road test. Cost $15.
7. Once test is passed, license is given, BUT new license holder STILL cannot drive ALONE for another 30 days when they go BACK to DMV to take a follow up test. Cost $15. Once complete, another license is given and they are allowed to drive alone, BUT, if under age 18, cannot drive between 10pm and 6am. (doesn't matter if they have a job at night or not). If over 18, they cannot drive between the hours of midnight and 6am. (doesn't matter if they have a job or not).
8. After 1 year of holding the license, they can THEN go and get a PERMANENT license with NO restrictions on it.

So, if we were to start now, Courtney would still be in the process of getting her license when we were leaving here. Oh yea....it doesn't transfer to any other state either. She'd have to go thru whatever process the state we move to has for obtaining a license. ARGH!

Our only alternative is to buy a moped. So, we went and looked at them. Found a really nice one. On sale for $1199. With helmet, lock and rack, $1300 total. Not bad. Actually cheaper than the moped I bought in Hawaii. And no...she doesn't need a license to ride/drive it. The moped HAS to be registered by a licensed GUAM driver. That would be me. I have a Guam Drivers License. Oh, yea, have to show proof of insurance too...not a problem.
The drawback? Hmm...let's see. Courtney doesn't know how to ride a moped. She doesn't know how to ride a bike either. DON'T ASK! Long story.....
So, IF we buy a moped, I'm going to be spending A LOT of time teaching her how to ride it.

I'm telling ya...if it's not one stupid law here, it's another!!!