View Single Post
Old 04-23-2009, 04:41 AM
tlrnhi

I forgot to add....once she goes for the PERMANENT license, that costs $25. Total in all is about $400 at the driving school I talked to. They were the CHEAPEST on island.

It doesn't transfer because they say it's not a "REAL" license and Guam is a territory, NOT a state. Yes, Guam runs under Federal Law, but doesn't have to adhere to ALL Federal Laws. Guam residents CANNOT vote in ANY elections having to do with the President/Vice President, but they do have Senators and Congressmen that they vote for.
It's really crazy living here. One reason why I don't work here. If I did, they would pretty much take ALL our money for taxes.
Have I mentioned how much I want to leave????

Hubby is worried about her riding the roads here. The roads are VERY bad, bumpy and full of potholes. They are slick when it rains. They aren't tar, they are actually cement, tar and crushed coral on the roads. When the roads are wet, they are very slick. I've even slid around corners at times just rounding a corner going REALLY slow when the roads have been wet.
I'm sure she will be careful once she gets the hang of riding it. I'm looking at the money aspect of it. The moped will pay for itself in about 6 months. It costs me about $60 to tank my van each week to drive her back and forth to work. Not to mention that 3 days of the week, I stay in town because she only works 3 hours and it's not worth me making the 30 min drive back home, only to turn around 2 hours later and drive back to get her.
It just all depends on what hubby says. Unless he lets me get the BIG scooter that is there. OMG! It's pretty, but they want $4000 for it! But, I don't need it...it's a want, not a need. The moped for Courtney is a need.
I've learned to distinguish between wants and needs and realizing when the WANTS stay at the store, money gets put in the savings. :) :)