Old 06-15-2011, 08:27 PM
purplefiend

Originally Posted by BoJangles
Originally Posted by cherrybsixty
Nancy, that has a good variety of built in stitches if the stitch selector works - you do have to take time to figure out the system

Miriam, are you saying that the 401 stitches decorative stitches without cams? I thought all the 400's and 500's had to have cams to stitch decorative stitches? My 503a won't even stitch a straight stitch without the '0' cam. I know the 401 and 501 are the top of the lines for that series of machines.

Nancy
You should keep a cam in the machine , helps to keep the doohicky that the cams go into from getting stuck. I had a 503 for about 6 months and really liked it. I gave it to a new sewist that I was teaching and she just loved it.
Sharon W. in Texas
Nancy, I just had that discussion w/the OSMG this past weekend. That decorative stitching is built into the 401A and you dial to 'Special feature', when you want to use the other cams. I thought like you that the cams were need.
Wow, I may have to find a 401a! I have the 503a, which I think is the prettiest of the 400/500 series, but you can't even sew a regular stitch without the '0' cam! At least that is what I was told when I got this machine! I have never tried to sew without a cam - I am afraid I'd ruin this machine.

Nancy