Old 06-16-2011, 05:00 AM
BoJangles

Originally Posted by miriam
looks like a 503 to me - only has the one knob on top - my DIL LOVES hers - her mom said she hated to sew - until I gave her a 503... I have to admit I didn't think she would sew so I gave her one I scrapped together for $5 - it was missing the doors and only had a few cams... She got her hands on it and she says she fell in love. Then I tried to trade her a 401 and she said NO WAY. She named the 503 Margaret after her grandma. DIL said "She is old and missing parts but she still gets things done." And she says "She was very fashionable in her day." The machine or the grandma??? Gotta love that gal!!! I keep giving her cams and a buttonholer for gifts. She quilted her old child hood t-shirts together one day and was so excited.
Miriam, what a nice story! I also love my 503a, but I thought I had read somewhere to never sew without a cam in the machine? I have never tried to even sew a straight stitch without the '0' cam. Are you sure the 503a can sew a straight stitch with no cam inserted at all?

Nancy