View Single Post
Old 06-16-2011, 07:30 AM
pineneedles4

I am making a new quilt that uses the technique where you use squares or rectangles of fabric, sew diagonally across and then cut off the corner triangles...well I HATE wasting fabric so I came up with an idea to salvage the corners to use in another project. I hope this is helpful to someone and not something that's been around forever that I didnt' know about! Since I'm making 104 of these units, I will end up with 104 half square tiangles for another project! Maybe matching pillows for the quilt. I will have even more extra units when I piece the green and cream blocks....Yeah...I hate wasting fabric!

The pictures are a little dark because I'm sewing on my hand-crank Singer machine. We were without electricity after the storm hit Norman, OK Tuesday evening! I read until I finished my book and then pulled out the project that I had cut out a year or so ago and decided to sew!

Sewing across the diagonal
[ATTACH=CONFIG]212251[/ATTACH]

Sewing 1/2 away from first stitching line
[ATTACH=CONFIG]212252[/ATTACH]

Or..you can mark and sewing rather than use the ruler
[ATTACH=CONFIG]212253[/ATTACH]

Cut between the two stitching lines
[ATTACH=CONFIG]212254[/ATTACH]

Now I have my piece for the quilt plus a half square triangle unit for a new project. No waste!
[ATTACH=CONFIG]212255[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-212245.jpe   attachment-212246.jpe   attachment-212247.jpe   attachment-212248.jpe   attachment-212249.jpe