View Single Post
Old 10-29-2007, 07:28 AM
quiltmaker101

A lot of us are concerned about the lack of shops selling fabrics, and the prices in general, so I have a challenge for everyone. Let's see how many of us can make a quilt from just our scraps and small stash pieces within the next year. Backing is up to you whether you purchase or are really thrifty/creative with what you already have!

The thinking here is to be like the women who quilted in pioneer days. They had no shops nearby and had to save worn out shirts and dresses or feedsacks to make a quilt. We can do that too!

For inspiration, please visit www.quiltville.com and read her tips on scrap sorting and see the amazing quilts she has made from them! It is an awesome website.

If you don't already have a scrap drawer, start one! Every time you trim off ends, square up your fabric, etc, put the strips and pieces into light, dark and medium assortments. I got a lot of satisfaction from going through my scraps and making them organized. Mine are in shoe boxes and ziplocs for now. I will have to get the clear storage drawer set up that Bonnie has on her website.

Can't wait to see what everyone comes up with by next Christmas!

Hi, Ya'll. This is Patrice, here. Just wanted to explain why I had the "nerve" to post this to the top with a sticky so it won't move from Page 1. Just so happens, somebody who thinks this is a super idea asked me to find a way to make sure everybody knows about it. This was the best way I could think of to do that.