View Single Post
Old 06-17-2011, 12:28 PM
BettyGee

I start at a point which leads to a smooth line and then just move the sandwich around until finished. Then I pull the bobbin thread up, tie all four threads off and bury the knot. So far this has worked quite well. I'm teaching nyself to do FMQ and started with pot holders. One thing I have found is to watch the mark on the foot and not the needle, it makes it easier and gives a much better result. If I try to watch the needle I get in trouble and out comes the trusty seam ripper. I really love FMQ, but I need practice practice practice before I tackled anything large.

I want to try echo quilting, but I'm going to have to get much better before I try that.

Oh, one thing I found is remember to lower the foot because if you don't you get the most horrendous birds nests ever. It is hard to remember because you have this puffy sandwich and it looks like the foot is down. I stuck a post it note on my machine that says "LOWER THE FOOT."

Oh, and praying doesn't hurt either. For that matter, cussing seems to ease the bird nest pain.