Old 06-17-2011, 01:48 PM
grammatjr

This board is so great about helping each other out. So, I thought I would start a thread of publishing advice for books or patterns. I know I have read some of the members talk about their books coming out.

I guess I will start with questions, then others can pop in with more questions, or with answers. We can use this as a tute for us all!

1-How unique do you think the technique or the layout needs to be to make a successful book/pattern? Do you buy books/patterns that are similar, but slightly different than others you already own?

2-What format do you like best? Do you like instant downloads (PDF etc) or do you like professional printing with hardcover/paperback cover? Do you get patterns/books that are just photocopies off the Xerox - is that acceptable. or are you disapointed?

3-If the book/pattern is PDF, do you keep it electronic, or do you prefer to print off the pages you need? Do you print the entire book?

4-Do you feel uncomfortable buying a pattern/book from small "companies" (for example, I only have a few books in mind, and if not professionally published, it/they would just be off my blog/web site)?

5-If you bought a book for a new technique - would you want to create your own patterns, or have some included in the book to try out?

6-How many pages of technique advice do you think is the bare minimum for a book, so that you would feel you got your moneys worth?

7-Do you like lots of photos to help explain the technique? Or is it mainly words which help you understand?

8-If you have published books/patterns yourself, how did you do it? Off your web page, then sell with PayPal and download or email PDF? Or did you ask for paper checks to be mailed then sent paper copies?

9-If you published with a profesisonal printer, what frustrations did you have? What advice would you give?

Well, that is all I can think of.

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 01-10-2013 at 08:56 AM.