Thread: Dakota Pathways
View Single Post
Old 04-25-2009, 11:57 AM
hulahoop1

Thank you all for your words of encouragement.

I got the frame pattern off the internet at www.buildaquiltframe.com for about $20. I couldn’t wait for the cd so downloaded it in pdf format. The legs are a set of folding table legs you can get at the hardware store. And the wheels are shower door wheels. As my husband was building it, I posted more details and photos on http://hulahoop1.blogspot.com/.

Now about this quilt, I am such a rookie, I could sure use some advice, pls. The instructions say to piece together each half of the block and then join it on the diagonal. However this creates pretty big bumps (where the arrows) even with trimming off the “dog ears”. Then I couldn’t decide how to iron the seams.

So I did another one like a typical 9-patch which seemed to go together pretty nice. It was easier to match the corners, too. I ironed those seams either toward the center or towards the dark.

My question is – should I continue to piece like the 9-patch and iron half the blocks like the photo and the other half in the opposite direction so I can put the seams together? OR should I just suck it up and follow the directions?

I know I overthink this…..

Attached Thumbnails attachment-26780.jpe   attachment-26983.jpe