View Single Post
Old 06-17-2011, 04:58 PM
wannaquilt1

Originally Posted by Prism99
Those old metal machines have a lot of internal parts that need oil.

#1. Unscrew the top and take it off to start seeing the places you need to oil from the top. Put one drop of oil into each oil hole. I also put one drop of oil everywhere I see two parts moving against each other -- except for gears. Gears should not be oiled; if they need anything, they should be lubed with sewing machine lubricant (comes in a little tube).

#2. Open the left hand side of the head. There should be a hinge at the back that allows you to do this. Again, place one drop of oil at each point where parts rub against each other.

#3. Unscrew the needle plate and clean out any lint from around the feed dogs. Some machines will take a drop of oil somewhere in there, if you can see two parts rubbing against each other or a tiny piece of felt (an oil reservoir that needs a drop).

#4. Take apart the bobbin assembly and clean everything. Put a drop of oil on a fingertip and lightly oil the shuttle race.

#5. I look for anyplace underneath that might have an oil hole or parts rubbing against each other.

Google online and you may find some diagrams that help you take apart and put back together the different parts of the machine.

Anyway, that's all the stuff I do when I bring home an old machine from the thrift shop. I always assume they have not been cleaned up and oiled recently, and I like to do all that before attempting any serious sewing with them.

After oiling, I run the machine on highest for at least a minute to get the oil to sink in.
awesome thanks so much!!!!