Old 06-18-2011, 03:02 AM
hopetoquilt

1-How unique do you think the technique or the layout needs to be to make a successful book/pattern? Do you buy books/patterns that are similar, but slightly different than others you already own?

It has to have something unique in it for me to spend the money.

2-What format do you like best? Do you like instant downloads (PDF etc) or do you like professional printing with hardcover/paperback cover? Do you get patterns/books that are just photocopies off the Xerox - is that acceptable. or are you disapointed?

I prefer books or single patterns. If there are not color photographs (not b/w and not color copies but pretty pix), I won't buy. I need help picking colors and can't visualize from black and white.

3-If the book/pattern is PDF, do you keep it electronic, or do you prefer to print off the pages you need? Do you print the entire book?

I would print the entire thing.

4-Do you feel uncomfortable buying a pattern/book from small "companies" (for example, I only have a few books in mind, and if not professionally published, it/they would just be off my blog/web site)?

I would buy from small or big companies. Just have to feel secure about payment method. Also not great about finding things on the internet so you need "to find me"

5-If you bought a book for a new technique - would you want to create your own patterns, or have some included in the book to try out?

I want color photos and exact patterns to try. I can't create my own thing.

6-How many pages of technique advice do you think is the bare minimum for a book, so that you would feel you got your moneys worth?

I don't care how long the directions are. They just have to be very clear. I learn visually so photos/diagrams with complex steps are a must.

7-Do you like lots of photos to help explain the technique? Or is it mainly words which help you understand?

see last response. LOL

8-If you have published books/patterns yourself, how did you do it? Off your web page, then sell with PayPal and download or email PDF? Or did you ask for paper checks to be mailed then sent paper copies?

Never published. I don't use paypal myself.

9-If you published with a profesisonal printer, what frustrations did you have? What advice would you give?

Just one last note... When I look to buy a book, the cover is what initially grabs my attention so the title must be very clear and really good photos on the front. I flip through and look at photos and make a decision from there. I don't buy cookbooks or quilt books if there aren't color photos and lots of examples.

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 01-10-2013 at 08:58 AM.