View Single Post
Old 06-18-2011, 03:40 AM
watterstide

Originally Posted by PaperPrincess
Bless your heart. Sounds like she did not cut the strips square to the fold of the fabric & wound up with Vs instead of strips.
i agree..AND when your sewing length of fabric strips, you need to rotate them..top of the strip,sewed to the next "bottom" of the strip. i know, clear as mud. i was taught this when i was making a quilt with strips/strings. to keep it from getting all wonky.

Copied from our own "quilting news letter"

"Strip Piecing - When strip piecing, sew two strips together and press. First 'set the seam' by pressing the side of the strip set that you will be pressing the seam allowance toward - then open and press the strips on the right side. For example if you are stitching a blue strip to a green strip and you wish to press toward the blue, run your iron over the seam on the blue side of the strip set. Then open the strip and press the green strip as the iron pushes toward the blue strip.

Take the third strip and sew it in the opposite direction of the first stitching. Press again as above. Continue adding strips by reversing the sewing direction as each strip is added. Press after each strip is added. This sewing and pressing method really helps in keeping the strip sets even so they don't curve or twist."