View Single Post
Old 06-19-2011, 03:46 AM
meemersmom

Originally Posted by suebee
BAH HUM BUG....I have been been working on this curved piecing doo-dah all flippin night. I am pretty convinced its not for me. Can you sense my utter frustration?? Ive already seen the tips here on the board, I try it, doesnt work that way for me. Any NEW tips??? ideas????thoughts???? I have tried this magical foot I bought, doesnt work any better than my 1/4" foot with guide. HELLLLLLLLLLLPPPPPPPPPPPP MEEEEEEE, PLEASEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE:(
I understand your frustration. It was the same way for me. Then I signed up for a class on curved seams from a friend of mine. It was a big "a ha" moment for me. I kept thinking about the two pieces as one seam. Her method had us piecing curves w/ no pins (really!!!) in no time. Look at them as several smaller seams. Line up the corners, right sides together, and take a couple of stitches. With the needle down, lift the presser foot and bring the edges of the material together again. Take another few stitches. The whole time, keep the edge of the fabric hitting the edge of the presser foot. Here's a pic of some apple cores I put together trying this method out. I didn't use any pins. This was done after one class. It's not the fastest method, but it is quite accurate (and did I mention no pinning??? LOL). Also, I didn't have to clip any of the seam allowances. Take a couple steps back from your project, maybe work on something else for a while, then go back to it. Practice is the only way.
Attached Thumbnails attachment-213679.jpe   attachment-213680.jpe