View Single Post
Old 06-19-2011, 05:28 AM
feline fanatic
Power Poster

Originally Posted by bigsister63
I piece the backs. I do not think that it is that hard and besides I ususally can not find wide backing fabric that goes with the quilt top. Also I think that wide backing fabric is nmore expensive that 45" fabric.
Actually wide backing is less expensive! Assume you have a queen size quilt you need to back. 45" wide fab, which these days it is really only about 42" of usable fab once you remove selvedges, you need to purchase at least 7 yards of normal width backing (usually 8 to 10 depending on how many seams you are willing to have ). Wide backing (108") fabric you only need 3 yards. Less than half. Most wide backs I see are in that 14.99 price range but I have seen it as low as $10 on line. Compare that to an average cost of fab at around $8 P/Y. 7 yards at $8 = $56.00 3 yards at 15 = $45 so the wide is less expensive because you have to buy less.

I like both pieced backings and one fab. I like using leftovers from the front in some pieced backs. But I do prefer a pieced back that is appealing to the eye not just big chunks of fabric put together helter skelter. If I am hand quilting I prefer as few seams as possible in my back. But if I am LAing it anything goes.