View Single Post
Old 06-19-2011, 12:52 PM
ThayerRags

As of today.....I have 360 sewing machines. My wife and I have 37 machines in our personal collection (33 in our home, the other 4 at our shop), 12 more in our shop, and 311 other machines in storage for parts or to fix up.

Yes, I’m probably not being fair to the other posters in this thread. We have a fabric center, and I fiddle with vintage sewing machines on the side, so I see a lot of sewing machines. My wife has always said that I can’t get into a project without getting into it full-bore. I guess she’s right. For the past 5 years, I’ve latched onto every vintage sewing machine that I could. I love yardsales, estate sales, and auctions!

Yesterday, I acquired my 460th sewing machine (I give them all an ID number so that I can keep records of them in a database). This one is a copy of the first sewing machine that my wife ever had. She bought a Montgomery Ward Model 266 zigzag machine out of the Wards Catalog in 1975 with some of our wedding gift money (probably most of it), used it until we could afford a new one in the early 90s (JC Penney Model 7057), and we sold it in a yardsale shortly after getting the new one. It’s the only one of her machines that we ever let get away from us. I’ve been on a search, and I finally found a copy of it for our “herd”, now that we’re collecting machines. Golly, she did a lot of sewing with that old “Monkey Ward” machine! And it was a 3/4-size machine to boot!

When our son delivered it to me from Denton Texas for Father’s Day, and my wife said “that’s it, “that’s the one!”. I think it brought back some fond memories for her. We’re both looking forward to getting it serviced up and into operation.

Edit: BTW - It weighs a whopping 26 pounds!

CD in Oklahoma

Montgomery Ward Model UHT J266B
[ATTACH=CONFIG]213956[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-213950.jpe