View Single Post
Old 06-20-2011, 05:59 AM
leatheflea

All is doing well after battling with the critters. Tomatos should start turning ripe in the next week or two. We've got around 15 plants. spinach has run its course, froze most of that. Peas are on there way out, froze those also. Radishes didnt do well at all, not sure what the problem was. Beets! Just boiled up some two nights ago, not gonna have enough to can like I planned. Green beans are finally doing ok. Zukes will be ready to pick in about a week.

We start everything early and watch the weather. Most around here are just starting to get blooms on tomato plants and we are way ahead. I also tried garlic this year, this is a first for me. The tops are starting to die back and should be ready to harvest soon. The bell peppers and hot peppers arent doing so well. Honey is stopping today to get some bonemeal to help them out. We both love to garden and this year has been quite the challenge. Took cukes over a month to start growing and we had a turtle put its nest in our acorn squash. We couldnt figure out what was going on till one day we went down to the back garden and found about a dozen rubbery egg shells everywhere. Of course the baby turtles were gone and there was a big hole in our squash mound. The deer have been a problem this year also. They arent eating anything just walking through and makin a mess. Its all a part of the joy of being a country bumkin! Good luck with your garden!