Old 06-20-2011, 09:46 AM
miriam
Power Poster

I posted some glamor shots of my 401a, 401G and 411G
http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-130994-6.htm#3520664
The 401g was my first slant-o-matic. It was a trash rescue. She was in horrid shape. Covered in dog do do, trash and garbage. Nothing worked. She was frozen up everywhere. It took me a year but I got her working. I had to free up a little at a time. First I got her wheel to turn. It took several days of painting on kerosene and finally I tried heat. Then she needed a power cord. I borrowed one off Mom's FW - the motor needed work too. DH worked that over for me. Then the needle would not center and the stitch dial did not move. I worked with kerosene and heat. Then the tension was not working right so I took it apart and re-did it. There were no feet so I stuck one on from an old Necchi - BIG mistake - it was a high shank - threw the needle off timing. I was given a service manual for my BD from DH and then figured out how to do the timing. More futzing around but it now works just fine! She was so abused. Probably could use a bit of paint or something. I bought a cord,attachments and disks for her as well. The 411G was a find on CL. She was abused too. Her needle shaft was bent and her spool holders are broken off and someone muffed the repair job I haven't come up with anything to compensate yet - I wrote up about the needle shaft repair a while back. See page 1169 in case you missed it... The 401 was a garage sale find. She had a broken tension - now also repaired.