Old 06-20-2011, 10:58 AM
vintagemotif

Originally Posted by miriam
Originally Posted by vintagemotif
Miriam,

Thanks for posting photos of your 401A, 401G, 411G to show the difference on the photo/info thread of vintage machines! Nice to have a comparison. Have you ever treadled the 401G or the 411G? I would give it a whirl! Looks like fun!
I would LOVE to treadle the German machines. You have to have the right balance wheel though. It has to have a belt groove on it - I'd love to find one. The wheels from other machines do not fit the 401 - believe me when I found out you could treadle I started checking that out. I don't know if a groove could be cut or part of one cut off and another welded on or not. It would take more talent than I have for sure.
Have you just tried to treadle them without switching the balance wheel? I have a 328K that treadles. The manual states for treadle or electric in the instructions ( show treadled foot), looks same type of deal with your machine.

Here is the manual of your Singer 411G in German:http://www.scribd.com/doc/35919972/S...411g-in-German

Just scrolling through and looking at photos, it looks the same deal as mine.

You may have a groove or enough of a groove in the wheel to hold the belt. At first, I thought I didn't have a groove to the wheel. Seems to me they designed these type of machines to do both without having to change wheels- at least the Singer 328K is this way.