Old 06-20-2011, 11:39 AM
vintagemotif

Originally Posted by miriam
Originally Posted by vintagemotif
Originally Posted by miriam
Originally Posted by vintagemotif
Miriam,

Thanks for posting photos of your 401A, 401G, 411G to show the difference on the photo/info thread of vintage machines! Nice to have a comparison. Have you ever treadled the 401G or the 411G? I would give it a whirl! Looks like fun!
I would LOVE to treadle the German machines. You have to have the right balance wheel though. It has to have a belt groove on it - I'd love to find one. The wheels from other machines do not fit the 401 - believe me when I found out you could treadle I started checking that out. I don't know if a groove could be cut or part of one cut off and another welded on or not. It would take more talent than I have for sure.
Have you just tried to treadle them without switching the balance wheel? I have a 328K that treadles. The manual states for treadle or electric in the instructions ( show treadled foot), looks same type of deal with your machine.

Here is the manual of your Singer 411G in German:http://www.scribd.com/doc/35919972/S...411g-in-German

Just scrolling through and looking at photos, it looks the same deal as mine.

You may have a groove or enough of a groove in the wheel to hold the belt. At first, I thought I didn't have a groove to the wheel. Seems to me they designed these type of machines to do both without having to change wheels- at least the Singer 328K is this way.
Thanks for the manual. Have you tried the chain stitch? The wheel end is long enough but for sure no groove. I wonder if I could have it machined? I have treadle legs I could put one on but no table top at this point. I've wondered about taking a top I have and replace the wobbly legs with the irons - cut holes for the belt.
Can you chain stitch with the Singer 328K? I didn't know this; I'm still playing with my decorative stitches. Can you chain stitch with your 401s and 411G?