Old 06-20-2011, 12:11 PM
BuzzinBumble

Originally Posted by catmcclure
When you're sewing any star block, it really, really helps to sew two sections together, press the seam open, and then trim the points off. If you do this, you don't have the really thick joint to sew over/under/around. On a six-piece star, you need to sew two pieces together, press the seam open, then sew the third piece on and press open that seam -- then trim the points. You will end up with a really nice hexagon without the lumpy center.

It's a lot more work, but your long-arm quilter will appreciate it and, if you handquilt, it will make your job easier.
Thank you for the good advice Catmcclure. I am terrible at making the points in star blocks come out perfect. No matter how many times I measure, how carefully I cut, and how slowly and carefully I sew... they come out slightly off. That is one reason why i like these One block wonder quilts. They are so visually busy they distract the eye form small imperfections. I did try trimming the points to decrease bulk, but found I very much need them as a reference point when matching the seams. Because i cannot see the design, they are the one way I know I am sewing things lined up well.