View Single Post
Old 06-20-2011, 01:51 PM
CoriAmD

My garden was doing really good (because I haul water to it every day) but a few nights ago, a deer came and ate all the tops of the tomato plants.... Grrrr! The hubby put fencing around the plants which seems to be working. But, then... Sat. night 10 p.m., the transformer on the electric pole by my garden exploded and spewed oil all over my rubarb, radishes, zuchinni and yellow squash plants.... no power for 2 days, then plants ALL had to be replaced.
I put new ones in today but the plants aren't as big as I had. Radishes were just ready to pick too, reseeded them but have to wait 2 weeks before they are ripe. Could only get 4 rubarb plants to replace the 10 I had, but when the electric company came and dug everything up I don't think they dug deep enough to get all the root, so they might come back.
Luckily as it turns out, the electric company did a soil test and the oil was not harmful, just old mineral oil which would have given a bad taste to the food.
Ah well, gardening is such an adventure... just not sure how many more years I will mess with it myself.