Old 06-20-2011, 02:38 PM
vintagemotif

Originally Posted by miriam
Originally Posted by vintagemotif
Originally Posted by miriam
Now that I have the 401G and the 411G both working I do need to see if they will chain stitch. They do have to have special attachments/parts to do it. I do not know if other drop in bobbin Singer's will do that with the attachments.

My 411 also has a little raised piece that I can put around the throat plate in case I want to do free motion with the plate raised. I have not tried that yet. I do not have a foot for free motion yet.

DH and I looked at the machines to see how a treadle would go on it. It should be interesting to see if we can get it to happen. There is not a whole lot of metal under that wheel so be taking much of anything off. What would keep the belt from shifting off? I shot some pictures of the 401A and the 411G so you can see the differences.
Everything looks like it would fit very snug in there, not much room to move around. So, I would think (assume) that if you just feed the tread belt up and through (follow the path the belt goes), you would be good to go with treadling.
I am putting together a treadle kit so to say.... The components are, an unused ugly table top the Singer 401G fits into & a treadle base and a belt from a box of ancient parts I bought a while ago... Now does anybody have any tips how to align the belt, the base and the wood top? As far as I know there is no need to drill holes in the wood to get the belt through since it goes through the machine. I have never done anything with a treadle - well, I've used one...
I would just put the treadle belt through the machine, sit the machine in cabinet, put cabinet on top of treadle, and then play with the position of the treadle belt to the treadle wheel. Move the cabinet top around until you get what looks like a good match. Then sew up the treadle belt with dental floss and attach to treadle, and give it a try. If that works mark where treadle screws need to go in cabinet and then attach cabinet to treadle.