View Single Post
Old 06-21-2011, 06:03 AM
NanaCsews2

I always hated bindings too until I learned to do it. Took some patience, and lots of practice on scraps of fabric I made into mini quilts, potholders, and placemats just to learn the binding. I did go to Missouri Quilt Co and Sharon Schamber's You-torials and learned how to do the binding. If you learn the basic techniques, it will come easier every time. I also use the 'binding buddy' tool as putting the beginning and ending seams together was my worst nightmare. I just could not understand the how-to's of it and realized I was over-thinking it every time. The tool makes putting those seams together perfect every time. Before folding over the back of the binding, I always step away from the sewing machine, find a very relaxing chair or nice long ride in the car when finishing the binding by hand-sewing. I look forward to this every time as it takes me out of the sewing area and relaxes me enough to get the rest of it done. I don't fret over it being perfect every time. Doesn't have to be unless you are showing the quilt. Giving it as a gift? Usually we give the gift to those that can't/don't sew and never know that it isn't perfect anyway. There may come a time when you look at your work and tell yourself that there is nothing you can do to make it any more perfect. But that is waaaay after your realize you really do love and are proud of the work you do.