View Single Post
Old 06-21-2011, 03:18 PM
Kallen

I only garden on a small scale. We planted 9 tomato plants, 3 cucumber, 3 green peppers, 1 zuchinni and 2 straight neck squash. It all went in on May 1st. By June 1st the squash were only as big as a dinner plate, and the cukes, and peppers had chewed up leaves. I wasn't sure if it was bugs or the hail storm. The tomato leaves were spotted with black and drying up. Thought it was maybe a fungus or too much cold and rain. I trimmed all the bad looking leaves, we did spray an insecticide (hate to do that) and put out snail bait. Everything is coming back and the squash grew gigantic in two weeks. We have small squash growing, a few tiny green cherry tomatoes, cucumbers are starting, and a couple of peppers too. Just hoping it continues to grow. It looks nice and healthy so I am keeping my fingers crossed. We also have a grow box full of strawberries, but don't get more than a handful every other day. I think they are overcrowded in the space we put them. I'm learning slowly..... :lol: I forgot to say, to everyone who is discouraged--keep trying. We'll just get better with practice, and we never know when the day will come that we will really need the food that we can grow and the skills we have developed, especially the things we have learned during the bad years.