View Single Post
Old 06-22-2011, 04:17 AM
QuiltE
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Holice
The reason for the question is that i see many quilts where it appears to me that one person made the quilt and another did the quilting. You begin to see a pattern in the quilting over many quilts. There is no mention of who did the quilting. The quilt has been entered under the one person category. But the fact you see the same pattern and quality of workmanship on many quilts, there is an assumption that two people actually worked on the quilt.
Mind you, we judge what we see and do not know the names of those who made the quilt. We only know the category the quilt is entered in.
I am wondering in these cases if the one entering shares the comments with the quilter especially if there are negative comments. I see many quilts of this suspicious type where if the quilting was better than the quilt might have received a higher rating or even a ribbon.
If you are the judge, then you need to have this as a discussion with any other judges involved, and those organizing the competition. Are you clear in the rules as to how the entries need to be declared? and before you challenge someone on the question, you need to be very certain of your facts. Remember more than one LAQ can have the same panto and potentially the same skill level!

It's a difficult situation to be in ... though I can understand your concerns.

And ... perhaps, are you stepping too far into the land of assumptions? (whether the judge, or observer at the show) It's a dangerous path to go down.