Old 06-22-2011, 08:01 AM
Miz Johnny

I have never refinished a machine head, but many others here have. As for the refurbishing of older machines, it was quite common. I have had several, but the oldest one is an 1869 Singer Model 12 that was redone with a Godzilla finish and a Singer badge across the arm. It was in very good condition by the time I got it, because the idiots who did the refinishing also put a clamp on it for a 15 x 1 needle--but did not retime it. I put a different needlebar on it and it ran fine.
I also have a VS II with the same finish, and have seen several 27s refinished with either the Godzilla or a green paint. A lot of the refurbishing was done during WW II when metals were scarce.

Originally Posted by quiltdoctor
Miz Johnny--Another question please. I have a 1920 White Rotary that seems to have been spray painted and different decals attached. I have another one that I can read the outline of New Home under black paint and there are decals over part of the letters. How common was it to redo these old girls?? How do you go about getting the pretty again?

Texas Jan