View Single Post
Old 04-29-2009, 06:49 AM
omak

Originally Posted by mes libby
I store mine on a hook that I have on the wall but I use Pants hanger that have rubber between the wood so it gives a better grip. this keeps the holes From stretching and also keeps it from warping.
The cutting mat I warped in the car was a result of leaving it parked so the sun was shining through the rear window and it molded to fit the back seat ... I learned that the sun rays are the damaging factor. I cut that board in half and used skirt hangers to keep track of both half. ( I find that if I have to I can cut on any form of cutting board, but I would rather have them flat!)
When I paid fifty dollars for my next big cutting mat, I discovered the pants hangers ... no little gripper teeth to nick the finish ...
The top of a chest freezer is an excellent cutting table (not so great to store a mat on, but if push came to shove .... duct tape and a vow to never move the mat ... might provide a space) ... keep the mat as close to a corner - - away from the center - - to provide enough support that you don't warp the freezer door.
I really don't have a lot to add to the conversation, except! The sun rays warp the plastic ... I don't know why, but I know that is how it happens, and the way that it will warp is not determined by anything - - have never found anyone who has successfully gotten them to lay back down and straighten out.
As far as what to do with five cutting mats?
On my peg board, from my local hardware store, I found pegs that were almost six inches long from the wall ... with the pants hangers and strategically placed pegs, just hang them one in front of the other. I do it with my rulers, and yes, sometimes, I want the one in the back ... but the issue is storage ... not the immediate gratification of being able to touch each ruler once to get it ... so that is what I do with everything ... sometimes, I just have to hang things in front of each other.