View Single Post
Old 06-22-2011, 11:51 AM
DogHouseMom

I like wildlife ... alive and from a distance. If I'm in their territory, I respect it and behave accordingly. I surrounded "my" territory with a 6' wood fence and will insist (usually with the unsolicited help of three large canines) that critters remain on the opposite side.

Mine.
Yours.

I don't need the problems that they bring with them. I don't need/want the fleas or ticks they carry, or the diseases that they could spread. I don't need/want the injuries that could result from a "meeting" where they feel threatened or emboldended during rut. I've seen cute, pretty, Doe Deer SHREAD a large dog with her hooves - a dog that was a good 30' from the Doe's fawn and walking in the opposite direction. I've seen Bull Elk break through a chain link fence and destroy wood decking because his harem was near and he didn't want the people sitting on the deck to get any closer. I was one of the people ON that deck (not for long mind you!).

I've also seen far too often what Deer can do to an automobile (and themselves) so I support hunting to thin the herd as Deer no longer have any natural predators (other than the inevitable starvation if the herd isn't thinned).

So I probably would have enjoyed the Doe in the driveway for a breif moment - then would have taken immediate meausres to insure that future visits were not welcome.