Old 06-22-2011, 12:38 PM
Aurora

Originally Posted by BoJangles
Originally Posted by Aurora
I have placed the almost perfect Red Eye into the treadle cabinet and installed a new belt (the old one was broken and in one of the drawers). I have apparently installed the belt incorrectly because I am unable to raise the head far enough backwards to raise the front wood panel to lower the head into the cabinet. I will get a new belt because I probably cut too much off the belt I installed. But the belt kept jumping off the big wheel -- any tips on how to overcome this issue.

Also a bobbin is stuck on the bobbin winder, but I am thinking a good Kerosene soak will loosen it for removal. I have your instructions printed out for referral when I get back to the cleaning part. I just am not sure about the belt problem. Any guidance will be appreciated.
Aurora, you attached the belt correctly. Once the belt is attached to the wheel you can't lower the head unless you slip the belt off the treadle or the wheel to lower the machine into the cabinet. Most of the Singer cabinets have a little switch thingy near the treadle wheel to loosen the belt out of the treadle groove. If your treadle does not have that, you can just slip it off the groove in the hand wheel. Either way in order to lift the machine far enough up to lower the head, you have to slip off the belt.

Nancy

Nancy,

Thanks. It does have a little round switch thingy (technical term?) that moves the belt slightly, perhaps I have my belt too tight. I will try it when I return to where the machine is located. At first I was afraid the belt would come off and I would not be able to get it back on, but it did slip off several times and was easy to get back on track. So happy to know I put it on right the first time. Here, I thought my greatest accomplishment was to swap the heads so I could have both a treadle and a handcrank. Cannot wait to start the clean-up process and get them both humming.

Thanks for such a simple solution. DUH!

Sharon W.

I just saw your response. Thanks, it looks exactly like the one on yours (by your knee). I look forward to getting my irons to look like those on your machine.

Aurora