Thread: Ironing Mat
View Single Post
Old 06-22-2011, 01:22 PM
SewExtremeSeams

I purchased a 24" x 24" piece of luan board at Home Depot and had my DH cut it up in smaller pieces. One is of the sizes he cut is 12" x 12". Others will be smaller for use with my tiny travel iron.

I am planning to cover it with two layers of warm and natural and then a layer of heavy muslin. I will staple each layer on the back after wrapping it tightly over the top.

Luan is underlayment and will not let steam through, or so I have been told. I actually will be using this ironing mat on top of a TV tray (not attached to the TV tray like some do) that I bought at Walmart for under $16. It is black and very sturdy. It is usually located in the furniture section.

I have the mat that comes with an Omnigrid cutting mat and an ironing section but I have to think~~as though I want to rub my tummy and pat my head at the same time with different hands~~ in order not to ruin my cutting mat!!! I will have a rotary cutting mat on another tray. The convenience of multiple uses for the TV trays is what interests me the most. Plus, I will not be able to accidently lay my iron on my cutting mat like I have done several times with the other set up.

If you have an office type chair that turns from side to side it is more convenient to turn and cut/iron than to slide to the side to do so. For pp and log cabin blocks it is wonderful to have this at your side.

:-D :-D